Christopher H. Mitchell Partner
Christopher H. Mitchell concentrates his law practice on representing people who have suffered the wrongdoing of others. For 25 years he has handled cases for patients victimized by medical malpractice; motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians seriously injured or killed in collisions; consumers harmed by unsafe commercial products; and visitors endangered on another’s property. Mr. Mitchell’s clients have spanned all ages and backgrounds, and he has obtained substantial recoveries for them by judgment or settlement in federal and local courts throughout metropolitan Washington, D.C. Since 2013 he has been named as one of the region’s best lawyers in the Washington Post Magazine and SuperLawyers®.
Before joining Stein Mitchell Cipollone Beato & Missner LLP, Mr. Mitchell was the Executive Director of the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra in Pennsylvania, served as law clerk to Judge John Bayly of the District of Columbia Superior Court, and was a litigation associate at Collier Shannon Rill & Scott, PLLC (now Kelley Drye) in Washington, D.C. Born and raised in the D.C. area, Mr. Mitchell is a graduate of Harvard and Georgetown, and the oldest of seven siblings.
Honors & Awards
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C. since 2013
- Top Attorneys, Personal Injury - Plaintiffs, Washington Post Magazine since 2013
- Best Lawyers® Washington, D.C. 2017
- Trial counsel in multimillion-dollar bench verdict for teenage motorist struck by government bus in Federal Tort Claims Act case.
- Trial counsel in multimillion-dollar jury verdict for family of young woman who died of late-diagnosed colorectal cancer.
- Trial counsel in multimillion-dollar jury verdict and partial settlement for patient misdiagnosed with HIV.
- Obtained substantial recovery for quadruple amputee after hospital’s late diagnosis of sepsis following kidney stone.
- Obtained substantial recovery for patient left partially paralyzed by hip surgery.
- Obtained substantial recovery for Navy officer assaulted on international airline flight.
- Obtained substantial recoveries for multiple patients implanted with defective artificial hips.
- Obtained substantial recoveries for multiple patients infected with hepatitis C by drug-addicted hospital worker.
Community & Professional Activities
Member, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Member, The Barristers
Member, Maryland Association for Justice
Past Chair, D.C. Bar Tort Law Section
Vice President, John Carroll Society
Board Member, Washington International Piano Festival
Past Board Member, Washington Chorus
Girls CYO Basketball Coach
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Law clerk for the Hon. John Bayly of the District of Columbia Superior Court
Georgetown University, J.D.
Harvard University, B.A.