Denis C. Mitchell Partner
Past President and Board of Governors of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Denis C. Mitchell is an experienced trial attorney and focuses his practice on representing individuals and families who have suffered life-altering injuries or who have lost love ones. He has obtained many multi-million dollar verdicts and recoveries for his clients, including the largest verdict in a medical negligence case in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. He has tried cases before multiple state and federal courts in the region. Mr. Mitchell's fellow plaintiffs’ lawyers recognized him as D.C.’s Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2014. He has also been consistently recognized by Best Lawyers® and SuperLawyers® as a leading practitioner in medical malpractice since 2011.
Mr. Mitchell has held leadership positions in several organizations, including President of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and Chair of the D.C. Bar Tort Law Section. He writes quarterly publications and makes presentations on important cases handed down by state and federal courts in the District of Columbia. He is also an Adjunct Professor in Trial Advocacy at the Georgetown University Law Center.
Mr. Mitchell is fluent in Spanish, having spent a year teaching and studying in the Economics Department at the University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain. Mr. Mitchell is also an active volunteer at his parish, coordinating service projects and coaching youth sports.
Honors & Awards
- Lead counsel in $8.3 million verdict in wrongful death/medical malpractice case in the Circuit Court of Anne Arundel County on behalf of local mother and restaurant proprietor who died during a medical procedure. Believed to be the largest verdict in that county.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and her family) who suffered severe brain injury due to negligent emergency medical care.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and his family) who suffered serious stroke resulting from medication error.
- Successful representation of multiple victims of commercial motor vehicle accidents involving tractor trailers, school buses, and other commercial vehicles.
- Successful representation of multiple patients who received unnecessary stents.
- Successful representation of patient who suffered brain injury resulting from improperly treated meningitis.
- Co-counsel in multi-million dollar verdict on behalf of consumers in home mortgage/loan closing fraud cases.
- Successful representation of multiple stroke victims who suffered life-altering brain injuries.
- For more information about other matters where Denis Mitchell has successfully represented victims of medical negligence or other cases involving catastrophic injuries please contact Jocelyn Gould at 202.661.0944.
Community & Professional Activities
Member and Past President, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2002 - Present; President, 2014-2015)
Co-Chair Tort Law Steering Committee, District of Columbia Bar (2009 - 2011)
Member, The Counsellors (2015 - Present)
Education Committee Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2008-2009)
Membership Committee Co-Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2007 - 2008)
Board of Governors, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2005 - Present)
Member and Amicus Committee, Maryland Association for Justice (2006 - Present)
Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Dinner Meetings: Recent Developments in D.C. Law," Washington, D.C., several times yearly
Presenter, D.C. Bar CLE: 2015 Revisions to the D.C. Superior Court Rules - Experts and Other Noteworthy Changes, December 2015
Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington: Primer on Changes to Superior Court Rules, September 2015
Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University School of Law, 2007-Present
July 20, 2015
The firm announces a name change to Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato LLP, recognizing the strategic leadership and exceptional contribution of partner, Andrew M. BeatoPress Release
Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a First-Tier Firm in Washington, D.C.Recognized in White Collar Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury LitigationPress Release
Trial (American Association for Justice), "Hospital Based Infections" 2008
Trial Reporter, "Rules of the Road For Bicyclists and Pedestrians," 2007
- District of Columbia
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- Notes and Comments Editor, Maryland Law Review
- Member, Order of the Coif
University of Virginia, B.A.
University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain