Gerard E. Mitchell Partner
Gerard E. Mitchell represents individuals who are victims of medical malpractice or other acts of negligence. He is consistently listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America, which recently named him Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year 2014-2015 in the Washington D.C. Area. The April 2002 Washingtonian Magazine described him as having the "reputation as the area's most effective medical-malpractice attorney."
Mr. Mitchell is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is former President of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and was TLA’s Lawyer of the Year in 1984. He also serves as the President of the Youth Leadership Foundation, an organization that offers character and academic training for inner-city youth.
Mr. Mitchell graduated from Georgetown University and the University of Virginia School of Law. He and his wife, Germana, have nine children.
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers' "Lawyer of the Year" Washington, D.C. Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs 2015 and 2010
- WASHINGTON’S BEST LAWYERS 2016, 2015, 2013, 2011, 2009, 2007, 2004, 2002, 1997, 1992
- WASHINGTONIAN Magazine selects Gerard Mitchell for his record of achievement as a top Personal Injury lawyer.
- WASHINGTONIAN Magazine listed Gerard Mitchell as the top-ranked personal injury lawyer among "Washington's 50 Best Lawyers" 2002
- Best Lawyers® Washington D.C. since 1989
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C. since 2007 and "Top 100 Lawyers in the D.C. Area" 2012
- Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy since 1982
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Avvo Rating 10.0 out of 10, Top Attorney - Medical Malpractice
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Member, Trial Masters
- Fellow, American Association for Justice since 2003
- 1984 Trial Lawyer of the Year,an honor bestowed by the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
- 2015 Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
Community & Professional Activities
Gerry has a long history of activity in community affairs, and currently serves as the President of the Youth Leadership Foundation (YLF). YLF operates two successful programs for D.C. youth grades 3 through 10 - the Tenley Achievement Program (TAP) for boys and the Program for Academic and Leadership Skills (PALS) for girls. With its emphasis on the twin goals of Character and Competence, YLF produces stunning results - 97% of YLF students graduate from high school and start college. Stein Mitchell Cipollone Beato & Missner LLP is also a major sponsor of YLF's Johnny Holliday Scholarship Classic, which is one of YLF's two principal fundraisers. YLF currently serves about 600 inner-city students each year.
Member and Past President, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (Vice President, 1977-1978; President, 1978-1979)
Member, Superior Court Civil Rules Advisory Committee
Advocate, American Board of Trial Advocates
Member, Maryland Association for Justice
Member, The Counsellors (President, 1989-1990)
Member, Lawyers' Club of Washington
Member, Bar Association of the District of Columbia
Member, The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Member, Montgomery County Bar Association
July 20, 2015
Four Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato LLP Attorneys Named to Elite List of “Best Lawyers” by WASHINGTONIAN MagazinePress Release
Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a First-Tier Firm in Washington, D.C.Recognized in White Collar Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury LitigationPress Release
- District of Columbia
University of Virginia Law School, J.D.
- Notes and Decisions Editor, The Virginia Law Review