Jacob A. Stein Of Counsel
Jacob Stein’s practice has included a wide variety of civil and criminal litigation and a number of other things, including the representation of lawyers mostly with ethical problems.
He was selected by the Special Division of the United States Court of Appeals to serve as the Independent Counsel, 1984, re: Edwin Meese, III.
Since 1991, Mr. Stein has authored the monthly column, Legal Spectator in the D.C. Bar magazine, Washington Lawyer. He was a senior editor of Litigation a publication of the American Bar Association.
He has been an adjunct professor at Georgetown University Law School for over 20 years. He has taught an advanced course in the Federal Rules of Evidence and Truth, Falsehood, and the Law and the Law of Law Firms.
Honors & Awards
- Lifetime Achievement Award, in recognition of exemplary contributions to the legal profession, American College of Trial Lawyers (June 2006)
- Professional Award for U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, The American Inns of Court Foundation (2002)
- Council for Court Excellence, Justice Potter Stewart Award (1998)
- Honorary Doctor of Laws, Suffolk Law School (1984)
- George Washington Law School's Distinguished Alumni Award (1982)
- Lawyer of the Year Award, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (1981)
- Best Lawyers' Washington D.C. since 1983
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C. (2007-2010)
Community & Professional Activities
- Bar Association of the District of Columbia (Vice President, 1967-1968; President, 1968-1969
- The District of Columbia Bar (President, 1982-1983)
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals, Chairman, Admissions Committee (1974-1978)
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia Committee on Local Court Rules, Chairman (1973-1987)
- District of Columbia Circuit; Committee to Draft Maryland Civil Jury Instructions, Judicial Conference (1977)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Member, Committee on Grievances and Admissions (1970-1974)
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (President, 1959-1960)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
George Washington University Law School, Adjunct Professor of Law, 1984
Georgetown University Law School, Adjunct Professor of Law, 1985-2001
American University Law School, Adjunct Professor of Law, 1987
Harvard Law School, Visiting Lecturer, 1974-1991
Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a First-Tier Firm in Washington, DCRecognized in White Collar Criminal Defense, Medical Malpractice & Personal Injury LitigationPress Release
Eulogy of Lawyers2010
Legal Spectator & More2003
Trial Handbook for Maryland Lawyers1972 -2001
The Law of Law Firms1994
Personal Injury Damages2nd ed. , 1991
District of Columbia Tort Casefinder1977 & 1983 Supp.
Damages and Recovery, A Survey of the Law of Damages1972