Jed Wulfekotte Partner
Jed Wulfekotte is a litigation partner at Stein Mitchell Cipollone Beato & Missner LLP. He handles a wide variety of complex commercial litigation matters, including pharmaceutical and healthcare litigation, engineering and construction disputes, and business torts; False Claims Act investigations and litigation; internal investigations; and government investigations with various state and federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, State Attorneys General Offices, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the Department of Defense.
Honors & Awards
SuperLawyers® Rising Star Business Litigation, Washington, D.C. (2014-2017)
- Counsel for artist management company and music group in a commercial litigation brought by the group's former management company. Obtained dismissal of all claims prior to discovery.
- Counsel for international pharmaceutical company in a product liability case. Secured dismissal of all claims with limited discovery.
- Counsel for leading engineering, procurement and construction contractor in a large commercial arbitration regarding a multi-billion dollar power plant project. The matter resulted in a complete defense award for the client following a 19-day arbitration hearing.
- Counsel for Relator in United States ex rel. Dinesh S. Thakur v. Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited, Civ. No. 1:07-cv-00962-JFM (D. Md.). Obtained the largest drug safety settlement in history against India’s largest generic drug manufacturer in the amount of $500 million.
- Counsel for engineering, procurement and construction contractor in False Claims Act investigations related to power plant projects.
- Counsel for Relators in United States ex rel. Michael R. Jones, M.D., Paula W. Hollingsworth, M.D., and Michael G. Rukavina, M.D. v. St. Joseph Health System et al., Civ. No. 11-cv-81-GFVT (E.D. Ky). Obtained $16.5 million settlement against a hospital chain under the False Claims Act for submitting false claims to Medicare and the Kentucky Medicaid programs for a variety of medically unnecessary cardiac procedures performed in patients.
- Counsel for international union in complex civil litigation under the Racketeering Influenced and Corrupt Practices Act (RICO). Obtained favorable settlement for the client prior to trial.
- Counsel for mentally ill victim of sexual abuse in an assisted living facility. Obtained civil monetary damages on the client’s behalf against her psychiatrist following a two-week jury trial in Virginia Circuit Court.
Community & Professional Activities
Immediate Past President, Asian Pacific American Bar Association of the Greater Washington, D.C. Area (APABA-DC), 2016-Present; President, 2015-2016; President-Elect, 2014-2015
Commissioner, D.C. Office of Asian and Pacific Islander Affairs, 2014-2016
President, Asian Pacific American Bar Association Educational Fund (AEF) Board of Directors, 2013-2014; Vice-President, 2012-2014
July 20, 2015
Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato LLP Announces $16.5 Million False Claims Act Settlement for Unnecessary Heart Procedures Performed by St. Joseph Health SystemKentucky Hospital Settles Allegations that Physicians Performed Unnecessary Open-Heart Procedures and Maintained Improper Financial Relationships with Physicians in Violation of Kickback and Stark LawsPress Release
Correspondent John Miller interviews Ranbaxy whistleblower Dinesh Thakur represented by Washington D.C. Attorneys Andrew Beato and Bob MusePress Release
Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato LLP Announces Largest Generic Drug Whistleblower Settlement in HistoryIndia’s Largest Generic Drugmaker Ranbaxy Pays $500 Million to Settle Systemic Generic Drug Manufacturing FraudPress Release
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
American University Washington College of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Articles Editor, Administrative Law Review
- Moot Court Honor Society
- Dean's Fellow, Whistleblower and Administrative Law
Muhlenberg College, B.A., cum laude, Philosophy and Business Administration