Joshua A. Levy Partner
Joshua A. Levy handles a wide variety of civil and criminal litigation matters. Mr. Levy has “developed an expertise in representing corporations and individuals during congressional committee inquiries and investigations,” reported Krissah Thompson, in The Washington Post article “Meet the Players in the Petraeus Scandal” (11/21/12).
Prior to joining Stein, Mitchell, Muse & Cipollone LLP as a partner in 2007, Mr. Levy served as counsel to the U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, where he investigated governmental failures preparing for and responding to Hurricane Katrina. He also served as counsel to U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer of New York.
Mr. Levy practiced in the litigation and national security groups at Arnold & Porter LLP in Washington, DC.
Mr. Levy is a member of the Adjunct Faculty at Georgetown Law. Courses include a trial practice course entitled, "Working with Expert Witnesses," and seminars, such as "Congressional Investigations" and "Health Care Fraud and Abuse."
Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers 2013
Enforcement and Corporate Investigations
Mr. Levy’s practice includes the representation of corporations and individuals under investigation by grand juries, federal enforcement agencies and inspectors general. Mr. Levy also conducted a number of internal investigations at the direction of corporations or their boards of directors.
Mr. Levy has represented clients under investigation by Senate and House committees, such as:
- A Department of Defense contractor before the Senate Armed Services Committee, the House Subcommittee on National Security & Foreign Affairs, the Commission on Wartime Contracting in Iraq & Afghanistan, and the GAO.
- A telecommunications company before the House Committee on Energy & Commerce.
- A wind energy company before the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform.
- A Silicon Valley software company before the House Committee on Armed Services and the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform.
- An FDA contractor before the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform.
- Senior administration officials before the Senate Finance Committee and the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform.
Eric J. Boswell, the former Assistant Secretary of State for Diplomatic Security and the Director of the Office of Foreign Missions, before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform.
- David J. Voth, the former supervisor of the Operation Fast and Furious agents, before the House Committee on Oversight & Government Reform.
- Joseph E. Bowring, then the Market Monitor for PJM, one of the nation’s largest public utilities, before the Senate Committee on Energy & Natural Resources.
Mr. Levy’s civil litigation practice has included the successful defense of:
- Multi-million dollar commercial real estate arbitrations and litigation;
- Government contract litigation and dispute resolution;
- Civil RICO allegations in federal court;
- Injunctions against corporate mergers; and
- Breach of contract and other commercial disputes in state and federal courts.
Community & Professional Activities
Steering Committee Member, D.C. Bar Litigation Section, 2009 – 12
President, Brent Elementary PTA, Washington, DC, 2007 – 09
Advisory Committee Member, ABA Standing Committee on Law & National Security, 2001 – 05
Co-Founded and Co-Chaired Young National Security Lawyers Group, 2001 – 05
Joshua A. Levy, New Era, New Threats: Wrestling with Interstitial Actors21 Mich. J. Int’l L. 523, 2000
Elizabeth Rindskopf & Joshua A. Levy, Law Enforcement & Intelligence: No Longer Ships Passing in the Night3 J. Nat’l Security L. 109, 1999
- District of Columbia
- New York
- Judicial law clerk to the Honorable Joan A. Lenard, U.S. District Court Judge for the Southern District of Florida, in Miami
University of Michigan Law School, J.D. (1999)
Editor-in-Chief, Michigan Journal of International Law
School of International and Public Affairs,
Columbia University, Masters of International Affairs
Columbia College, Columbia University, B.A.