Julie Mitchell Newlands Partner
Julie Mitchell Newlands handles high stakes litigation. She has litigated on behalf of individuals and corporations in the federal and state courts of the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia.
Ms. Newlands specializes in representing individuals and their families in cases involving serious personal injury and medical negligence. She has obtained six, seven, and eight-figure verdicts and settlements for her clients.
Ms. Newlands currently serves on the Executive Board of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Before joining Stein Mitchell Cipollone Beato & Missner LLP, she practiced civil defense litigation at the firm of Miles & Stockbridge, P.C., then spent nearly five years as an Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney for Fairfax County, Virginia, where she prosecuted more than 350 criminal felony cases and handled thirty-five jury trials. She later practiced criminal defense litigation with Schertler & Onorato, LLP in Washington, D.C., before returning to the practice of civil litigation in 2007.
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers® Washington D.C. (2018)
2018 Best Lawyers in America
2014 Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Assistant trial counsel for personal injury/product liability case resulting in $14 million verdict in the Circuit Court for Pulaski County, Virginia on behalf of brain-injured client and his family. Believed to be the largest verdict for a products claim in Southwest Virginia.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and her family) who suffered serious worsening of her condition from negligent failure to diagnose breast cancer.
- Successful representation of pedestrians struck by negligently operated vehicle.
- Successful representation of family whose daughter suffered wrongful death from doctor's negligent failure to diagnose and treat diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and his family) who suffered serious birth injuries from oxygen deprivation during his delivery.
- Successful representation of patient who suffered leg amputation due to undiagnosed Ischemia.
- Successful representation of patients who suffered serious facial burn scars due to negligently performed cosmetic laser procedures.
- Successful representation of victim of drunk driving collision.
- Successful representation of victim of slip-and-fall on black ice due to improperly maintained residential apartment parking lot.
Community & Professional Activities
Executive Board, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Vice-Chair, D.C. Bar Lawyer Assistance Committee
Member, Maryland Association for Justice
Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Member, John Carroll Society
- District of Columbia
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
University of Dallas, B.A., magna cum laude, Philosophy
- Phi Beta Kappa