Gerard E. Mitchell Partner
Gerard E. Mitchell represents victims of medical malpractice or other acts of negligence. He is consistently listed as one of The Best Lawyers in America, which named him Medical Malpractice Lawyer of the Year 2014-2015 in the Washington D.C. Area. The April 2002 Washingtonian Magazine described him as having the "reputation as the area's most effective medical-malpractice attorney."
Mr. Mitchell is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers. He is former President of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and was Washington, DC TLA’s Lawyer of the Year in 1984. He also serves as the President of the Youth Leadership Foundation, an organization that offers character and academic training for inner-city youth.
Mr. Mitchell graduated from Georgetown University and the University of Virginia School of Law. where he was Notes and Decisions Editor of the Virginia Law Review. He and his wife, Germana, have nine children.
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Best Lawyers' Lawyer of the Year Washington, D.C. Medical Malpractice Law - 2010 and 2015
- Best Lawyers® Washington D.C.
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C."Top 100 Lawyers in the D.C. Area"
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5
- Avvo Rating 10.0 out of 10, Top Attorney - Medical Malpractice
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. - 1984
- Obtained $23 million judgment in United States District Court for the District of Columbia for victim of bus accident.
- Co-counsel with son Denis Mitchell in $8.3 million verdict in wrongful death/medical malpractice case in the Circuit Court of Anne Arundel County on behalf of local mother and restaurant proprietor who died during a medical procedure.
- Obtained $5.6 million judgment in United States District Court for the District of Maryland for victim of medical negligence at time of birth.
- Obtained $3.7 million judgment in Circuit Court of Fairfax County for victim of negligent bronchoscopy procedure.
- Obtained $3.5 million maternal death verdict in Circuit Court for Anne Arundel County for obstetric malpractice.
- Obtained $2.1 million verdict in Circuit Court for Montgomery County for negligent misreading of mammogram.
- Successful representation in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia of minor child who suffered brain damage due to negligent ventriculostomy procedure.
- Successful representation in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County of multiple patients who received unnecessary cardiac stents.
- Successful representation of multiple amputee victim of negligent treatment of sepsis.
Community & Professional Activities
Gerry has a long history of activity in community affairs, and currently serves as the President of the Board of Directors of Youth Leadership Foundation (YLF). YLF operates two successful programs for D.C. youth grades 3 through 10 - the Tenley Achievement Program (TAP) for boys and the Program for Academic and Leadership Skills (PALS) for girls. With its emphasis on the twin goals of Character and Competence, YLF produces stunning results - 97% of YLF students graduate from high school and start college. Stein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP is also a major sponsor of YLF's Johnny Holliday Scholarship Classic, which is one of YLF's two principal fundraisers. YLF currently serves 350 inner-city students each year.
Board Member, The Heights School (1982 - 2011)
Board Member, The Catholic Information Center (2012 - present)
Board Member, The Catholic University of America (2018 - present)
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (1988 - present)
Past President and Board Member, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (President, 1978-1979)
Member, D.C. Superior Court Civil Rules Advisory Committee (1978 - 2019)
Adjunct Professor, American University School of Law, 1974-1975
- District of Columbia
University of Virginia Law School, J.D.
- Notes and Decisions Editor, The Virginia Law Review