Christopher H. Mitchell concentrates his law practice on representing people who have suffered the wrongdoing of others. For 29 years he has handled cases for patients victimized by medical malpractice; motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians seriously injured or killed in collisions; consumers harmed by unsafe commercial products; and visitors endangered on another’s property. Mr. Mitchell’s clients have spanned all ages and backgrounds, and he has obtained substantial recoveries for them by judgment or settlement in federal and local courts throughout metropolitan Washington, D.C. Since 2013 he has been named as one of the region’s best lawyers in the Washington Post Magazine and SuperLawyers®.
Before joining Stein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP, Mr. Mitchell served as law clerk to Judge John Bayly of the District of Columbia Superior Court, was a litigation associate at Collier Shannon Rill & Scott, PLLC (now Kelley Drye) in Washington, D.C., and was the Executive Director of the Johnstown Symphony Orchestra in Pennsylvania. Born and raised in the D.C. area, Mr. Mitchell is a graduate of Harvard and Georgetown, and the oldest of seven siblings.
- Law clerk for the Hon. John Bayly of the District of Columbia Superior Court
Georgetown University, J.D., 1987
Harvard University, B.A., 1984
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Community & Professional
Member, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Member, Maryland Association for Justice
Past Chair, D.C. Bar Tort Law Section
President, The Barristers
Past Board Member, John Carroll Society of the Archdiocese of Washington (2014-2022)
Secretary, Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome Foundation
Past Chair, Fathers Club at Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart (2017-2019)
Past Chair, Insiders Trusted Advisors (2018-2019)
Board Member, Washington International Piano Festival
Board Member, Spring Valley West Homeowners Association
- Trial counsel in multimillion-dollar bench verdict for teenage motorist struck by government bus in Federal Tort Claims Act case.
- Trial counsel in multimillion-dollar jury verdict for family of young woman who died of late-diagnosed colorectal cancer.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar bench verdict for brain-damaged young man attacked by bar bouncer.
- Obtained multimillion-dollar bench verdict for patient assaulted during dental procedure.
- Obtained substantial recovery for quadruple amputee after hospital’s late diagnosis of sepsis.
- Obtained substantial recovery for Navy officer assaulted on international airline flight.
- Obtained substantial recoveries for multiple patients implanted with defective metal-on-metal hips.
- Obtained substantial recoveries for multiple patients infected with hepatitis C by drug-addicted hospital worker.