Denis C. Mitchell is an experienced trial attorney and focuses his practice on representing individuals and families who have suffered life-altering injuries or who have lost loved ones. He has obtained many multi-million dollar verdicts and recoveries for his clients, including the largest verdict in a medical negligence case in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. He has handled cases before multiple state and federal courts. Mr. Mitchell's fellow lawyers recognized him as D.C.’s Trial Lawyer of the Year in 2014, and he was recently named 2023 Lawyer of the Year in Washington, DC for plaintiff’s personal injury litigation by Best Lawyers®. He also has been recognized by Washingtonian Magazine and SuperLawyers.
Mr. Mitchell has held leadership positions in several organizations, including President of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and Chair of the D.C. Bar Tort Law Section. He writes quarterly publications and makes presentations on important cases handed down by state and federal courts in the District of Columbia. He served for 12 years as an Adjunct Professor in Trial Advocacy at the Georgetown University Law Center.
Mr. Mitchell is fluent in Spanish, having spent a year teaching and studying in the Economics Department at the University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain. Mr. Mitchell is also an active volunteer at his parish, coordinating service projects and coaching youth sports.
- 2023 Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Washington, D.C. - Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- 2014 Trial Lawyer of the Year, an honor bestowed by the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
- Washingtonian Magazine Top Lawyers (2017 - present)
- Best Lawyers® Washington D.C. (2011 to present)
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C. (2012 to present)
- Avvo Rating 10.0 out of 10, Top Attorney - Medical Malpractice
- Bethesda Magazine Top Attorney - Medical Negligence
University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- Notes and Comments Editor, Maryland Law Review
- Member, Order of the Coif
University of Virginia, B.A.
University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain
- District of Columbia
Community & Professional
Board Member, Head Injury Rehabilitation and Referral Services (HIRRS) (2016 - present)
Past President and Board Member, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2002 - Present; President, 2014-2015)
Co-chair, Trial Practice Committee for D.C. Bar Litigation Section Steering Committee (2016 - present)
Education Committee Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2008-2009)
Membership Committee Co-Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2007 - 2008)
Co-Chair Tort Law Steering Committee, District of Columbia Bar (2009 - 2011)
Member of Amicus Committee, Maryland Association for Justice (2006 - Present)
Member, The Counsellors (2015 - Present)
Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Dinner Meetings: Recent Developments in D.C. Law," Washington, D.C., several times yearly
Presenter, D.C. Bar CLE: 2015 Revisions to the D.C. Superior Court Rules - Experts and Other Noteworthy Changes, December 2015
Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington: Primer on Changes to Superior Court Rules, September 2015
- Won $7.7 million verdict in the Superior Court for the District of Columbia for victim of apartment fire.
- Obtained $22.1 million judgment in Montgomery County, Maryland against healthcare provider for victim of sexual assault.
- Successful representation of multiple victims in Amtrak Derailment in May 2015, securing settlement of $265 million.
- Obtained $8.3 million verdict in wrongful death/medical malpractice case in the Circuit Court of Anne Arundel County on behalf of local mother and restaurant proprietor who died during a medical procedure. Believed to be the largest verdict in Anne Arundel county.
- Successful representation of patient who suffered brain injury resulting from improperly treated meningitis.
- Obtained >$7.5 million recovery for victim of hospital and medical negligence on behalf of pregnant woman.
- Obtained $17 million recovery for woman injured by commercial truck.
- Obtained $9 million recovery for family of man killed by commercial vehicle.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (her family) who suffered severe brain injury due to negligent emergency medical care.
- Obtained $8 million recovery for child injured by healthcare negligence.
- Obtained $11 million recovery for family of child injured by commercial truck.
- Successfully represented the family of young man killed as a result of being served alcohol while under age.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and his family) who suffered serious stroke resulting from medication error.
- Successful representation of multiple victims of commercial motor vehicle accidents involving tractor trailers, school buses, and other commercial vehicles.
- Successful representation of multiple patients who received unnecessary stents.
- Co-counsel in multi-million dollar verdict on behalf of consumers in home mortgage/loan closing fraud cases.
- Successful representation of multiple stroke victims who suffered life-altering brain injuries.
News & Media Mentions
- Denis Mitchell selected as 2023 “Lawyer of the Year” for plaintiff’s personal injury litigation based on peer review by Best LawyersSummer 2022
- Gerard Mitchell and Denis Mitchell Presented a Primer on Changes to Superior Court Rules Regarding Scheduling and Expert Disclosures
- Press Release
- Stein Mitchell Muse Cipollone & Beato Recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a First-Tier Firm in Washington, D.C.Press Release
- Trial (American Association for Justice), "Hospital Based Infections" 2008
- Trial Reporter, "Rules of the Road For Bicyclists and Pedestrians," 2007