Julie Mitchell Newlands represents individuals and their families in cases involving serious injury or wrongful death. She has substantial experience litigating personal injury and medical negligence cases in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia. Julie is a dedicated advocate for victims of life-altering events related to another’s negligence. She accompanies her clients through the litigation process with diligence and compassion. Julie has obtained six, seven, and eight-figure recoveries for her clients. She has been recognized by Best Lawyers® and by The National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers. She learned the art of trying cases during her years as an Assistant Commonwealth’s Attorney for Fairfax County, Virginia.
Julie has held leadership positions in several organizations. She is the immediate Past President of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and the current Chair of the District of Columbia Bar Lawyer Assistance Committee.
Julie was born and raised in the Washington, D.C. area. She enjoys rooting for the Washington Nationals and exploring the wonders of Rock Creek Park with her dog.
Best Lawyers® Washington D.C. (2018 - 2020)
2018 Best Lawyers in America
2014 Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
University of Dallas, B.A., magna cum laude, Philosophy
- Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
Community & Professional
Immediate Past President, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
Chair, D.C. Bar Lawyer Assistance Committee
Member, Maryland Association for Justice
Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Member, John Carroll Society
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of patient (and her family) who suffered serious worsening of her condition from negligent failure to diagnose breast cancer.
- Assistant trial counsel for personal injury/product liability case resulting in eight-figure verdict.
- Obtained substantial recovery for motor vehicle accident victim who suffered traumatic brain injury.
- Successful representation of pedestrians struck by negligently operated vehicle.
- Obtained seven-figure recovery for family whose daughter suffered wrongful death from doctor's negligent failure to diagnose and treat diabetic ketoacidosis.
- Successful representation of victims of automobile collisions.
- Obtained multi-million dollar recovery on behalf of mother of baby who suffered serious birth injuries from oxygen deprivation during delivery.
- Obtained seven-figure recovery for patient who suffered leg amputation due to undiagnosed Ischemia.
- Successful representation of patients who suffered serious facial burn scars due to negligently performed cosmetic laser procedures.
- Successful representation of victim of drunk driving collision.
- Successful representation of victim of slip-and-fall on black ice due to improperly maintained residential apartment parking lot.