Jonathan E. Missner Managing Partner
Jonathan E. Missner is the Managing Partner of Stein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP. He is also Chair of the firm’s Global Practices and Corporate Strategy Groups. Mr. Missner has been an Adjunct Professor of Law at Georgetown University Law Center since 2000.
Mr. Missner helps guide clients who face high-impact legal and operational challenges. With his background leading businesses on a global platform, he works with clients on their most complex matters, including regulatory and policy issues, venture capital and emerging companies, growth, and corporate governance.
As Chair of the Corporate Strategy Group, Mr. Missner focuses his practice on evaluating litigation risks and benefits, controlling costs, advising growing businesses, and creating value-driven partnerships. As Chair of the Global Practices Group, Mr. Missner leads the firm's effort to offer its services in more areas and markets around the world. He also advises clients who seek to grow and thrive in a global environment. Mr. Missner has a proven track record of maintaining and creating synergistic partnerships based on his worldwide relationships.
Mr. Missner represents and advises clients in matters related to tax, securities, and health care laws, including the resolution of a $2.6 billion civil and criminal investigation against Credit Suisse for conspiring to aid and assist taxpayers in filing false returns.
Prior to joining Stein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP, Mr. Missner spent more than a decade at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee ("AIPAC"), most recently as Managing Director, National Affairs. He led AIPAC’s strategic planning, grew and managed its network of national offices, and worked closely with its Board of Directors. Among AIPAC's many successes during his tenure, revenues tripled under Mr. Missner's direct leadership.
Prior to joining AIPAC, Mr. Missner led two high-growth businesses in the health care field. With Phillips Health, he led the company through substantial growth and served as in-house counsel for all regulatory matters. He co-founded AmericasDoctor.com and developed the company’s marketing and business development plan, strategic growth, funding, and affiliate programs. In less than two years, he helped the company establish a sustainable base of revenue and execute a strategic exit.
Mr. Missner holds a J.D. from Georgetown, an M.B.A. from the George Washington University and a B.A. from Johns Hopkins University. He is an avid tennis player, an active volunteer in his community, and the father of three children.
- Affinity Gaming v. Trustwave (D. Nev.): Represents Affinity Gaming, a U.S. casino company in a lawsuit against Trustwave, the data security company Affinity Gaming hired to investigate and help remediate a data breach; Affinity Gaming alleges that Trustwave misrepresented its investigation and the security of Affinity Gaming’s data. The matter is pending in the U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada and has received considerable press coverage from a wide range of legal, business, and technology media.
- State Oil Company of Azerbaijan Republic (SOCAR): Represented SOCAR before the House Ethics Committee and the Office of Congressional Ethics. This matter was covered on the front page of The Washington Post and other international publications. The investigation was closed.
- Represented Life Alert, founder of the medical alert industry, in an enforcement action before the FTC to stop the dangerous and illegal tactics of a competitor, which negatively affected the industry.
- Legarda et al. v. Celerion, Inc., CV2016-009119 (Ariz. Super. Ct. Maricopa Cty.): Counsel for Advarra Inc. in connection with its review and approval of an FDA-regulated clinical drug study. Secured a dismissal of all claims against Advarra at summary judgment following extensive briefing and lengthy oral argument. Subsequently secured denials of various motions brought by the plaintiff, including motions for reconsideration and for leave to amend the complaint to add new claims.
- Bausch Health US, LLC v. Virtus Pharmaceuticals OPCO II, LLC: Counsel for Virtus Pharmaceuticals in suit brought by competitor involving Lanham Act and antitrust claims. Secured favorable settlement for client.
- Virtus Pharmaceuticals, LLC v. Method Pharmaceuticals, LLC (Florida state court): Counsel for Virtus Pharmaceuticals in a suit alleging theft of trade secrets, unfair trade practices, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference, and breach of contract claims against a competitor as well as former Virtus employees. Secured favorable settlement for our client.
- Outside litigation general counsel for Linden Capital, a leading healthcare private equity firm, advising the firm and its portfolio companies with respect to all litigation matters, including False Claims Act, Lanham Act, antitrust, trade secrets, employment, and commercial contract and business tort disputes.
- UMG Recordings, Inc., et al. v. Grande Communications Networks, LLC (Western District of Texas): Counsel for leading music recording companies in large-scale copyright infringement suit against an internet service provider. Obtained summary judgment against ISP’s safe harbor defense under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, a ruling cited in numerous copyright cases and authorities. Case is set for trial.
- UMG Recordings, Inc., et al v. RCN Telecom Services, LLC (District of New Jersey): Counsel for leading music recording companies in large-scale copyright infringement suit against the sixth largest internet service provider in the country.
Adjunct Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center, 2000 - Present
- Course: Alternative, Complementary and Integrative Medicine, The Legal Issues
Jonathan E. Missner and Robert B. Gilmore represent Affinity Gaming in a lawsuit against Trustwave.Originally Published in The Hill
Missner will chair the Firm’s new Global Practices and Corporate Strategy Groups and serve as Managing PartnerPress Release
- District of Columbia
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D.
The George Washington University, M.B.A.
Johns Hopkins University, B.A.